Friday, August 14, 2009

Phishing Trip

John and I left Giuliana with her grandparents and headed out to Darien Lake last night. It was a 3 1/2 hour drive there, a 5 hour drive home (4am, you are not my friend) but it was so worth it.

We made the trip to see Phish. This was my first time seeing them in concert. John has been to several in his younger (hippie) days. They were every bit as awesome as all the hype. Even 15 years later. Unbelievable, really. I did the "hippie dance of freedom" as my sister-in-law likes to mock it, and enjoyed myself immensely. I am feeling rather old today, in that apparently 4am-9am does not equal enough sleep for me to function properly at 33 years old. Thhhhpppppp! I will not age gracefully!

However, in my old age, I do have a quick comment to make about one particular observation I made last night. It is this: I love music. I want my daughter to grow up loving music, and so far she seems like she is on that path. I love seeing little girls dance around in circles, enjoying fantastic live music. But I DO NOT think that a Phish concert is an entirely appropriate "atmosphere" for young children, if you get my drift. Right next to us last night were 3 young girls, ages roughly 3-7, and one INFANT (couldn't have been more than 3 months old) with their parents. The girls had a fabulous time dancing and playing. But the air...it was not clean. I was all sorts of uncomfortable about this. I do not fancy myself very judgmental of other parents, but this type of concert is just not a good environment for kids. What were they thinking? There, I've said my piece.

Anyway. Some pics. I did not include the unbelievable gridlock that had us sitting in a literally unmoving car until 1:30am. I don't want to remember that part.


3 comments:

katherine mary said...

nick and i were talking about children and phish shows. what upsets me most is the idea of the parking lot afterwords. but as we know i'm a "prude" in my old age.

Anonymous said...

Aww, you guys look so cute! Lovebirds. :) Glad you got to go out and have fun!

Kamis Khlopchyk said...

What fun! I hate the after concert gridlock, it makes me twitch. And not in a good way.

:)